Sonos speakers are a unique product with exceptional sound quality. Sonos is a wireless smart home speaker system for those interested in purchasing it. Up to 32 units can be connected to it. You can wirelessly control Sonos because it’s a part of your smart home.
You might want to connect your iPhone or iPad to the Sonos speakers if you are an Apple device owner. It would help if you took care of connectivity and configuration for that.
Table of Contents
How To Play Apple Music on Sonos?
If you have a Sonos and an iPhone, you can play music from your iPhone on your Sonos speaker. Here’s how.
- Make sure your Sonos and iPhone are on the same Wi-Fi.
- On your iPhone, open the Sonos app.
- Tap the More tab, then tap Settings.
- Tap Advanced Settings, then tap Speakers.
- Select the Sonos speaker you want to use.
- Tap Done.
- Now, go to the music app on your iPhone and start playing a song. The music will play on your Sonos speaker.
How To Set Up AirPlay with Sonos Speakers
A line-in port on a PLAY:5, CONNECT, or CONNECT AMP must first be connected to an AirPort Express to use AirPlay with Sonos. Additionally, you must set up the AirPort Express and Sonos.
- The AirPort Express
- A line-in Sonos product
- A cable for audio.
- Make sure to use the 1/8-inch (3.5mm) mini stereo to 1/8-inch (3.5mm) mini stereo connection when connecting a Sonos PLAY:5 (gen1 or gen2) device.
- Use a mini-stereo to RCA audio wire measuring 1/8 inch (3.5 mm) when using Sonos CONNECT or CONNECT AMP. It is a part of CONNECT.
- Step 01: Connect the AirPort Express to a power outlet first. A Sonos PLAY:5 (gen1 and gen2), CONNECT, or CONNECT: AMP line-in must then be connected to the AirPort Express via an audio cable.
- Step 02: A Mac or Windows PC should have AirPort Utility open. In AirPort Utility, select Other Wi-Fi Devices in the upper left corner. The configuration will then start when you click the name of the AirPort Express.
- Step 03: then select Other Options. Your Wi-Fi network must now be chosen from the drop-down list when you pick Add to an existing network. Select Next.
- Step 04: Next, fill the Base Station Name field with a name for the AirPort Express. Then press “Next.”
- Step 05: The Wi-Fi network password must be entered when prompted to finish Step 5 of the setup process.
- Step 06: When the configuration is complete, AirPort Utility will verify that AirPort Express is successfully expanding your wireless network. Hit “Done.”
Step 01: Click Settings Room Settings on any Sonos controller, then, from the drop-down menu, choose the room to which the AirPort Express is connected.
Select an AirPlay device as your line-in source.
Select Level 4 for Line-In Source Level (AirPlay)
Pick the room where the playback will automatically start when you start broadcasting with AirPlay by selecting the “Autoplay Room” option. If using a Sonos controller, select None to initiate playback manually.
Step 2: Select Line-In from the Music menu to begin playback, and choose the room to which the AirPort Express is connected.
On your iPhone, you must swipe up from the bottom of the screen to reach Control Center.
Step 3: At this point, tap AirPlay and select the AirPort Express connected to the Sonos device.
How To Use AirPlay On Sonos Speakers Via AirPort Express
Sonos is a useful alternative for playing music throughout the house but is a closed system. While it is compatible with wireless speakers and other Sonos-branded products, it is incompatible with MusicCast, HEOS, Play-Fi, and direct Bluetooth streaming.
Sonos did not initially support Apple AirPlay. However, Apple iTunes and Music users can utilize the Sonos system to stream music collections across the house.
An Apple Airport Express is a bridge between AirPlay and Sonos to accomplish this.
Using AirPlay on Sonos Speakers via AirPort Express is a great way to wirelessly stream audio from your iOS device to your Sonos speaker. Here’s how:
- Ensure that your AirPort Express is connected to your Sonos speaker.
- On your iOS device, open the Control Center by swiping it up from the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the AirPlay icon.
- Select a Sonos speaker from the list of AirPlay devices.
- Any audio played on your iOS device will be streamed
- wirelessly to your Sonos speaker. Enjoy!
Connect via Sonos App
On any iOS or Android smartphone, the Sonos app may be Downloaded for free. Download it to your device. It gives you access to all of your home’s Sonos equipment controls.
You can also use this software to stream music from your iPhone through Sonos speakers.
Observe the instructions below:
- On your iPhone, visit the app store.
- Install and download the Sonos app.
- Connect your iPhone to the same wireless network as your Sonos.
- Turn on and connect your Sonos.
- Launch the Sonos application. To configure the app, adhere to the on-screen directions.
- Add your iPhone by visiting the Rooms list.
Now, your Sonos system can play the system music files from your iPhone. Additionally, you can listen to music from playlists and other streaming providers.
Internet radio and iTunes, for instance. Online music streaming services like Pandora and Spotify also let you create an account and log in.
Why Sonos does not support Bluetooth?
Sonos is powered by your home Wi-Fi network, so it can operate without Bluetooth. Because the likelihood of having a Sonos speaker in every room is significant, Bluetooth cannot operate across rooms. Sonos beam does not have Bluetooth, however, it does provide a Bluetooth speaker named ‘Move’.
Can you connect to Sonos without the app?
Sonos speakers are among the finest on the market. Although some individuals are put off by the high price, the animals are well worth the investment. They constantly offer high-quality audio and are perhaps the finest leading multi-room wireless speaker system in the world. However, instead of Bluetooth, it employs a Wi-Fi connection to provide the world-class sound that audiophiles have grown to expect and appreciate.
You can utilize speakers without an app, but only one speaker at a time. If you wish to play audio over many speakers, you must utilize the app; there is no other option.
The disadvantage may seem severe, yet the software is entirely free. There are no monthly membership costs to play music with the Sonos app. The new interface may seem strange at first, but you will become used to it. So, without further ado, let’s look at how you may listen to music without using the Sonos app.
Does Sonos only work with wifi?
To stream music, almost all Sonos speakers must be linked to a WiFi network or directly to the network through an ethernet wire. The Sonos Roam and Sonos Move are the only Sonos speakers that have Bluetooth, allowing you to play music without using WiFi.
The fundamental idea and operation of the Sonos speaker are to give precise, synched music and other sounds from several sources at the same time. The ideal approach to offer simultaneous wireless audio to several devices is through a WiFi connection, which is how all Sonos units operate.
Do Sonos speakers need Wifi to work?
To function, almost all Sonos speakers need Wi-Fi. All of the wonderful features, such as high-fidelity music in various rooms and stereo speaker setups, need WiFi and the Sonos Controller application.
The Sonos Move (on Amazon) and Sonos Roam are the only Sonos speakers that do not need a WiFi or ethernet connection to play music. However, for the first setup, they must be linked to WiFi. As you can see, if you don’t already have a WiFi network, this non-WiFi arrangement isn’t a realistic alternative.
If you don’t want to allow music streaming via WiFi for whatever reason, you may deactivate it in the Sonos app for the Sonos Move and Sonos Roam. However, you forego fantastic capabilities such as phone volume control, multi-room audio streaming, and other specific perks.
Is Sonos better wired or wireless?
Sonos may be set up in either a wireless or wired configuration.
In a wireless configuration, your Sonos items, like other wireless devices in your house, connect to your home’s WiFi network (smartphones, tablets, computers, etc.).
When should you utilize a wireless setup?
If you have a strong WiFi connection that reaches all of the rooms where you want Sonos, use a wireless setup.
Setup that is wired
In a wired arrangement, at least one of your Sonos items will remain connected to the router via an Ethernet connection to establish a specialized wireless network for your Sonos system. Furthermore, your Sonos items will be able to transfer the wireless signal to other Sonos products, allowing Sonos to work in a place where your WiFi is not available.
When should you use a wired setup?
If your home WiFi network is sluggish, unstable, does not satisfy our system requirements, or does not reach all of the rooms where you want Sonos, use a cable configuration.
Is Sonos better than Bose?
This is a Bluetooth and Wi-Fi-enabled portable speaker with an IP67 certification. You may connect it to your Sonos system or take it out and about. The Roam has a 10-hour battery life, which is rather respectable considering its small size.
Can Sonos play streaming audio?
One of the finest ways to fill your house with music is by using Sonos speakers. They are completely wireless and can be controlled by your computer, tablet, or smartphone. Sonos speakers may also connect to a variety of music streaming services, such as Spotify, Amazon Music, and Apple Music.
However, Sonos falls short in one area: there is no way to listen to your computer’s audio output via it.
It may not seem to be a huge problem, but it is. If you’re an audiophile, you’re definitely using a specialized music organizer like MusicBee or MediaMonkey to arrange your music.
These specialized applications provide a plethora of features, tags, metadata fields, and everything else that music fans like. In comparison, the Sonos app is minimal. There is information on the artist, song, album, and artwork but not much more.
Sonos Won’t Play Music from iphone
There are several things that can be done about this.
- Check the Sonos app and iPhone connectivity.
- Restart your Sonos system and iPhone
- Confirm iPhone volume and settings.
- Check the Sonos speaker’s input source
- Restart your router
- Check for software updates
- Reinstall the Sonos app.
Try these out.
Overall, playing music on Sonos from iPhone is a great experience. The sound quality is fantastic, and the ability to control everything from your phone is extremely convenient. If you’re looking for a top-notch music streaming experience, Sonos is the way to go.