In this guide we are going to talk about how to control your Apple TV using Alexa.
Devices like Apple TV and Amazon Echo Dot are essential devices for many homes these days.
By combining these two devices, you can control Apple TV with voice commands.
Here’s everything you need to know about it.
Table of Contents
Can you connect Apple TV to Echo Dot?
There is no special official way to connect the Amazon Alexa app to your Apple TV. But you can use something like Harmony Hub or HOOBS to connect this.
What to do to set up Alexa with Apple TV
- Choosing Third-Party Affiliate Technology . (like Harmony Hub or Bluetooth)
- Connecting to Alexa.
- Sync with Apple TV and control it.
Let’s talk about this below.
How to control Apple TV with Alexa
You can control your Apple TV using Alexa. You can use Bluetooth for that. Below are the steps for that.
- First make sure you have set up both devices. Make sure their respective settings are complete.
- Enable Bluetooth on Apple TV: The first step is to enable Bluetooth on your Apple TV. Settings > Remotes and Devices > choose Bluetooth and turn it on.
- To pair an Echo Dot, say “Alexa, pair.” Put your Echo Dot into pairing mode.
- Connect Echo Dot to Apple TV: On your Apple TV, select your Echo Dot from the list of available Bluetooth devices.
- Now you can control Apple TV with Alexa.
When you connect Alexa to Apple TV via Bluetooth, you won’t be able to use many features like rewind or fast forward.
Using this method you can listen to something like a podcast through the Echo Dot using an app like SoundCloud.
2. How to Connect Alexa to Apple TV Using Harmony Hub
- First you need to connect your Alexa device to Harmony Hub.
- Now, go to the Alexa app and go to “Devices”, click the “+” symbol, search for ‘Logitech Harmony’, and select it.
- Now Harmony Hub should be linked with your Amazon account. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Enable text input through the Harmony app for enhanced Apple TV control.
- Pair your Apple TV remote with the Harmony Hub for seamless control.
- Now set up voice commands for specific activities using the Harmony app, like watching specific shows.
This allows you to seamlessly connect and control Apple TV with Alexa.
3. How to Connect Alexa to Apple TV Using wired connection
- First, connect your Alexa device to the router using an Ethernet cable.
- Connect your Apple TV to the same router using a different Ethernet cable.
- Then open your Alexa app and go to ‘Devices’, select the plus icon, and follow the on-screen instructions to connect Apple TV with Alexa.
Because there is no direct connection between Apple TV and Alexa, you may not be able to control some features.
However using these three methods you can connect these two devices and control Apple TV using commands.
How to use Alexa as a speaker for Apple TV?
Did you know you can use Alexa as a speaker for your Apple TV? This is how it works.
- Make sure your Apple TV and Alexa device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Go to the “Devices” tab and select “Add Device”.
- Select “Speaker” from the list of available devices and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process. (Turn on Bluetooth on Apple TV.)
What are the special advantages of connecting Apple TV and Alexa?
The most special advantage here is that you can turn Apple TV ON OFF without using the remote.
In addition, you can control certain functions of Apple TV with your voice, such as playing/pausing videos.
How to Disable Apple TV with Alexa?
By integrating your Apple TV with Alexa, you can control your Apple TV’s power functions using simple voice commands.
To turn off your Apple TV with Alexa, say “Alexa, turn off Apple TV” or “Alexa, put Apple TV to sleep.”
Now there’s no need to fumble for the remote or get out of bed—Alexa will do it for you.
How to Turn On Apple TV With Alexa
Besides turning off your Apple TV, you can also turn it on.
To turn on your Apple TV with Alexa, say “Alexa, turn on Apple TV.”
Apple TV won’t connect to Bluetooth
This problem can be frustrating, but fear not.
You can do the following.
- Make sure your Bluetooth device is in pairing mode and discoverable.
- Check if your Apple TV is running the latest software version by going to Settings > System > Software Updates.
- Restart your Apple TV and the Bluetooth device you are trying to connect.
- Try resetting your Apple TV by going to Settings > System > Reset > Reset All Settings.
Can Siri control Apple TV?
Yes, Siri can control your Apple TV. With its built-in voice assistant, Apple has given users an easy way to use simple voice commands with their Apple TV.
To activate Siri on your Apple TV, press and hold the Siri button on your Apple TV remote, or use the “Hey Siri” command if you’ve enabled it on your Apple TV settings.
After Siri listens, you can issue your command or ask a question.
Make sure your Alexa device and Apple TV are connected for the commands below.
How to Adjust Volume on Apple TV with Alexa
Gone are the days of having to wrestle with your Apple TV remote to change the volume.
Say “Alexa, increase/decrease volume on Apple TV.”
Alexa will trigger the command to your Apple TV, and you’ll see a change in the volume level on your TV screen.
How to Turn on/off Apple TV with Alexa
Turning your Apple TV on and off with the help of Alexa is now effortless. Follow these steps:
Make sure your Apple TV is plugged into a power source and turned on.
Say “Alexa, turn Apple TV on/off.”
Alexa will send a signal to your Apple TV, turning it on or off based on your command.
Personal experience : I struggled to find the Apple TV remote when I needed to turn it off before going to bed. Now, with Alexa, I say “Alexa, turn off Apple TV.”
Can you connect Alexa directly with Apple TV?
While you can use Alexa as a speaker for Apple TV, it’s important to note that direct pairing between the two devices isn’t currently supported.
Although direct pairing is not possible, integration between Alexa and Apple TV through the Alexa app provides a viable option.
Can Alexa control Roku TV?
Now that we’ve explored the relationship between Alexa and Apple TV, let’s turn our attention to another popular streaming device — the Roku TV.
While the Apple TV integrates seamlessly with Alexa, the same cannot be said for the Roku TV.
Currently, Alexa does not have native support for controlling Roku TV devices. However, there are solutions to control Roku TV using Alexa. One such solution is to enable Roku skills in the Alexa app.
This skill allows you to control certain aspects of your Roku TV, such as launching specific channels or controlling playback, using voice commands via Alexa.
Is Alexa better with Apple?
Alexa and Apple operate as separate ecosystems. Alexa is primarily associated with Amazon’s ecosystem, while Apple has its own voice assistant called Siri. However, there are ways to integrate Alexa with Apple devices to some extent.
So if your devices are Apple then SIri is compatible with you and if most of your devices are Amazon then Alexa is compatible with you.
Siri and Google are both intelligent virtual assistants, but they have different capabilities and are designed for different platforms.
Both Siri and Google Assistant have strengths and weaknesses, such as natural language understanding, contextual awareness, and integration with other services.
You can often get information from Google Assistant and control Apple devices from Siri.
Related for Alexa:
- 6 Ways to Fix Alexa Makes Random Noises
- How to connect Bose Soundlink Revolve to Alexa
- How To Turn on Alexa to Loop A Song
- How to Meditate with Alexa? Alexa Meditation Skills
- How to solve the Amazon Echo Dot blue ring of death